Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Congratulations to all New Initiates!

Hi Everyone,

I hope you all are doing well, staying safe, and, more importantly, STAYING HOME! These last few months have been interesting. Several organizations had to either put a halt or cancel membership intake all together for safety reasons, and others were able to finish up depending on where they were in the process.  I am a member and an advisor of Sigma Alpha Iota (Music Fraternity) and an Alumni of Alpha Phi Omega (Service) where organizations at our University had to put a halt to membership intake.  If you were able to finish up your process CONGRATULATIONS and welcome to GreekLand! If your process was canceled, remember that this is not a denial, just a delay. Things are looking different for EVERYONE! Chapter meetings are now held virtually, and chapter events have been canceled.  Colleges and Universities had to send their students home, I am now teaching from home, my husband is working from home. I must admit I have had cabin fever. Each time I think about wanting to leave my house, I have to remind myself that this is temporary, and the sooner we ALL can stay at home, the sooner we can get back to normal.

We are living in uncharted territory. This has NEVER happened before. Although I was looking forward to attending my regional conference this summer, especially since my chapter is the host chapter, its as canceled. ALL of our events are canceled. Although I feel SO bad about this, I feel even worse about the ladies of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc. This is their centennial year, and I was looking forward to seeing all of my Zeta cousins (and I have a LOT OF THEM) celebrating their centennial in DC at Howard. As I have been watching the news, it seems like that may not happen for them. If they are forced to cancel, I PRAY they will be able to reschedule it for another time when it's safe. I remember how much of a glorious time I had at my centennial, and I am hoping they will be able to experience it as well.

If you crossed this semester (or fall semester), comment below, and introduced yourself, I have always enjoyed meeting new Sorors, new sistergreeks, and new fraternity members across the globe.

Congrats again, and remember, now the REAL work begins!

Ciao for now,

V

39 comments:

  1. Hi! I have a question, for the lines that were dropped - do you know if it is likely the chapter will have another Rush after this all slows down? I recently found out that I did not make a line this Spring (2020), because the chapter didn't like the member who wrote my letter. I am not 100% sure that the line got dropped, but our stay at home orders came two weeks after the initial calls went out. I know this is selfish, but I am hoping that myself amongst other ladies have another chance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for everyone who have been waiting many years for this opportunity.....but a delay is not a denial. Congrats to everyone who received their call for membership.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear V,
    Thank you for all you do! I've followed your blog since I first discovered it in 2014 and it is much to me what DeltaNet was to you. Your words have given me both comfort and confidence more times than I can count. I hope you and your family are staying safe and blessed in these worrying times. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Soror V,

    Thank you for all of the advice and support your blog has given so many of us! Im happy to say that I am now a member of thee illustrious Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated and your blog truly helped with the process. Thank you, thank you! I hope to run into you at convention so I can officially introduce myself.

    Soror B

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen many presentations of new members for Zeta Phi Beta, and Delta Sigma Theta. Congratulations Ladies!! I'm so excited that many of you have realized a goal and can truly celebrate obtaining it. I am even more inspired to keep at my journey. You've prayed, pushed, and persevered, even when Covid-19 made you uncertain. Although this was not an ideal situation to become a new member, it was an ideal TIME to finally get it done! Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!

      Proud member of DST

      Delete
  6. My School has an upcoming Rush this Saturday for DST and I planned on attending but my GPA is a 2.67. I read your blog post from back in 2010/2011 where you went into depth about how sororities don't make an exceptions for the GPA but I know everyone can agree that this pat year has been a whirl wind of many trials ans tribulation with school, family emergencies and the pandemic. Do you think there is anyway that DST would make the exception??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Question: With everything going virtual now due to the pandemic. Are chapters still requiring interested potentials to still live in the service area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my chapter area they are not making exceptions to the service area.

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year to all! I see there are virtual Rushes taking place, but it was nearly impossible for many to get enough community service hours as an applicant beforehand because of covid. Does anyone know if less volunteer hours will be required because of covid? Stay safe, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The community service hours were the same in the chapter area where I went to the rush. Someone did ask about that and they didnt make any exceptions in the rush. They may have made exceptions on a case by case but it wasnt known to us

      Delete
    2. Hello,

      I do believe they extended the time beginning time frame for your community service hours. So if it used to be 2 years then it is now within the last 3 years since most people were not able to volunteer during this last year.

      Delete
    3. Community service hours may be the same, but the years they consider may be different. Example: 2 or 3 yrs of service may still be required, but your hours that you served in 2017, 2018 & 2019 may count...not 2020 (covid year). Find out specifics at Rush. And serve virtually in the meantime. Do research online. It is possible.

      Delete
  9. Just attended rush in COVID! It's been quite interesting so far. It was on zoom which isn't a surprise. On the other hand, I submitted my application today. Can't wait to see whats next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! I attended a virtual Rush also.

      Delete
    2. Good Luck during your application process.

      Delete
    3. Good Luck! I'm interested to know how initiates feel about the virtual process. Do you feel that you can still get to know your line sisters? I wonder if this is like working from home... employers are realizing it can be done. Will intake continue this trend?

      Delete
    4. Yikes! That's disappointing about the community service hours. There's no way people could volunteer safely in the past year. :(

      Delete
  10. I went to my rush on 02/05 and have already turned in my packet. Packets are due this Thursday so I am on pins and needles right now. I was advised that the entire line would be virtual so we would be online from our computers at home. We were also not told the cap number so I have no idea how many women they are picking. It was a small rush. There were probably only 100 girls on the zoom that was not a Delta. I will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Luck during your process. I was in your shoes last year around this time so I understand how you are feeling but keep the positive vibes going.

      Delete
    2. I didnt receive a call or rejection hut i heard calls went out. ��

      Delete
  11. Today is the last day to turn in packets! NOW the waiting begins. I am so nervous yet so hopeful that this will be my season.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello heres my timeline (collegiate SW Region)
    2/9 Rush
    2/22 App Due
    3/18 Interview Call
    3/20 Interview
    Waiting for THE call...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello timeline

    1/25 Rush
    2/20 interview

    Still no call and I've been told rejection letter have already went out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did anyone attend a rush on 2/13

    ReplyDelete
  15. Has anyone heard anything?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello. Wanted to follow up to see if anyone was able to join their organization of choice. I have seen a number of videos that have been released thus far of new members. If so, Congratulations to anyone that previously posted here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey everyone.

    Rush was 1/18
    Application Due 1/22
    As of today no word yet

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rush:01/23
    Due Date:02/02

    Rush Attendees: 2000
    Cap:191

    Still no call for an interview. Maybe I did not get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2/9/2022 at 10:42 did you get an interview?

      Delete
    2. @ 2/9/2022 at 10:42. Are you in Charlotte? Your dates are the same as mine but we did not receive cap info.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I did. I am not waiting on "the call". I am not sure if I will get it. My interview was not well at all.

      Delete