Tuesday, January 4, 2011
After receiving several emails from people asking about "How to join an Alumnae Chapter," I figured I would create a "Part II" blog on some helpful tips.
First off, CONGRATS for graduating from college. This is an important milestone in anyone's life, and you should be proud of yourself.
So you have your diploma hanging on your wall, just accepted that "dream job" and everything would be perfect (in your eyes) if you could only join that special organization that you couldn't join in college. What are the first steps you need to take to complete this goal?
1. If you are moving to a new city or state due to a new job, after getting settled, I would suggest that you research major organizations in the area. This varies from the National Urban League, Local chapter of the NAACP, Book Club, etc...Most of the organizations have people who are members of various BGLO. (Black Greek Letter Organizations). This is an excellent way to meet your future sorors/fraternity brothers, (If you are chosen of course).
2. TALKING..... Members of Greek Organizations are EVERYWHERE!!! Church, Your Job, Involved in other organizations, etc., which is why it is important that you become involved in other organizations. If you find someone at your job that is in the org of you choice, invite him/her out to lunch. Find out more about them, and tell them about yourself. Ask them if they have any events and projects coming up that you can be a part of.
3. Google can be your BEST FRIEND!!!! I would suggest using Google to search for local chapters in your areas, AS WELL AS, NPHC in your local area as well. Most large cities have an NPHC chapter. Hopefully, they will also have a website with an event section.
4. Ask around.....Now I know some of you are like,, wait, discretion is the key right???? Well yes, BUT if you have a relative that is a member of the organization that you want to be a part of, then ask him or her if they can research and find out if they have a chapter in your area. Although we are living in the technology age, there are some chapters out there that do not have a website up and running or updated regularly.
5. Attend various events around town.....Not only is this very entertaining, but you never know.....that girl that is your cube mate, just might be a member of the organization you are dying to join. You just never knew it because she doesn't wear pari to work, or doesn't have anything on her desk which displays her organization. Events that come to mind for me are step shows, (There are tons of people that are in alumnae/alumni chapters that will be in attendance), Jazz or Blues Fest, Spoken Word, etc.
These are just a few tips I wanted to share on how to find at least out where the alumnae chapters are. I will update this blog regularly when I think of more tips, so you might want to bookmark it, and check back from time to time....
Ciao for Now!