Wednesday, September 20, 2017

53rd National Convention (Interfaith Worship Service/Gospel Fest)

Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring. Dang, Didn't I JUST lay my head down on this pillow? I struggled to get out of bed for today's events.  After getting dressed in my White, I headed downstairs to catch the shuttle. I had to get to the Garden Arena (MGM Hotel) by 5:30 for choir rehearsal. 

We had a great rehearsal, and we were ready to SANG! As the venue started filling up, I realized that this was a perfect opportunity to take out my camera and start snapping away. One benefit of being a member of the choir, is you get premium seating. I was able to capture great footage from where I was sitting. Seeing a sea of Black Women dressed in white was a sight to see. The service started promptly at 7:00. Unlike on yesterday during our opening ceremony, on today, I was able to snap away like crazy as the NEB made their way to the front. 

We had excellent service, and our guest speaker, National Chaplain Vashti Murphy McKenzie did a phenomenal job. I was able to do a video collage from the service, as well as Friday's rehearsal from the Convention Choir. 


Leaving the service was not an easy task at all. It was sorors EVER-EE-WHERE!  While I was in line waiting to get on the bus, I ran into an FB friend that I connected with on FB but never met in real person. HOW COOL IS THAT! When I finally got on the bus, I must have gone straight to sleep. The next thing I remember was a soror waking me up saying "We're back at Mandalay Bay soror, wake up. I looked around and realized that I was the LAST person on the bus mind you, I was sitting at the very back. I guess I was tired. I headed back to my hotel to take a breather before heading back to our regional luncheon. My only disappointment was I had to attend my current region's luncheon. I was made in the Midwest, but I am currently in the far west region. Although I absolutely LOVE my fabulous Farwest Region, I also wanted to reconnect with sorors from the Midwest. The luncheon was great, and I was thrilled that our chapter picked up a few awards. When it was over, I made my way over to the Midwest Region's room to see if I would find any familiar sorors. It was then that I was able to hook up with one of my neo's. I was thrilled to see her. After we connected, we both rushed to grab a seat for the Public Meeting. A Public meeting is where all members of the Divine Nine is present to give greetings to the body of Delta Sigma Theta.  




National Presidents and Representatives from the Divine Nine

When the public meeting ended,  I headed BACK to my hotel to get ready for tonight's main event; the Gospel Fest featuring Tasha Cobbs, and Hezekiah Walker. So you know what that means right? Yup, it was back to the Garden Arena. The spirit of the place was incredible. It all started with announcing the winners of the Gospel Choir Contest. Congrats to the members of the Chicago Alumnae Chapter of being the winners. They sounded outstanding together as a choir.  Tasha Cobbs was up first, and she laid it down with her vocals. People were really feeling the spirit. Hezekiah Walker closed the place down with an altar call after his performance. I am so thankful I was able to attend this spirit-filled concert. We straight up had Church that night. 





Chicago Alumnae Chapter: Winners of the Gospel Choir Challenge














No comments:

Post a Comment