Tuesday, November 17, 2015

More Than Just Strolls, Calls, Hand Signs, and Colors

Today was a day I decided to reflect on the meaning of true sisterhood, and how I feel about being a member of one of the Top African-American Organization. As I rolled out of bed this morning, I geared myself up for the day's events. This included attending the first Delta Chapter meeting of the year, first Sigma Alpha Iota Chapter E-Board meeting of the year, and the first meeting of ASTA. When I decided to join a sorority, I had my heart set on wanting to join the ranks of an organization that was about Sisterhood, giving back to the community, and making a difference. Participating in Greek Step Shows, Going to Parties connecting with sorors from across the globe for me is just the "icing on the cake."

When I was a college freshman, watching the Greeks on the yard was a fantastic site to see.  The Alpha's stepping in their Black and Gold, AKA's looking pretty and meticulous in their pink and green, the Q's stepping harder than ANYONE with dog tags around their necks, and hopping carrying on to the infamous "Atomic Dog," and so on...... Although to some, this is their first introduction to Greek Life, that was not the case for me.

The reason for this post is to state that being a member of a BGLO is more than strolls/struts, calls, hand-signs, and colors. Most of these "traditions" are considered unofficial and did not come into existence until decades AFTER the organizations were founded. What prompts this post was after when I found myself speaking to a group of young collegiate who were stating their reasons why they wanted to join the various Greek organization. I have heard everything from, "they are the best steppers on campus, they get big "play" (I didn't even know they still use this word) at parties. They go on to say other Greek Orgs on campus will notice them.  They want to be a part of the pretty girls; they seem so cool and down to earth, etc. Never once did I hear, I want to join because they have the highest GPA on campus, they won student organization of the year, love the community service projects that they are currently involved in, etc. I find this funny because it never fails, when it comes down to the interview process, their answers change.

If you are joining at the collegiate level, I get it! Trust Me! You are getting admired on campus by your peers, standing out in a crowd because of those letters.  But being a member of a Black Greek Letter Org is more than just the college experience. What is life like after you graduate? For the first few years, you may find yourself going back to your school to connect with people that are still there — your prophytes that pledged you, or your neos that you pledged. You want to keep it cute at your school's step shows, homecoming, reunions, etc.  Hey, I get it! I have been there. Or you might find yourself NOT going back for several years because you are trying to secure a job, career, and start your adult life. Student loans are knocking HARD at your door six months after you graduated, so you are trying to make sure you have a job to make that first of many payments. Some members of BGLOs continue to serve in their organizations, and some take a break for financial reasons. (As I have stated before, being a financial member in a BGLO can be pricey, no need to sugar coat it)!

Now can you have fun afterward?  Absolutely!

13 comments:

  1. Hello! first, i would like to say thank you for this blog... it has helped me a lot. I would like to know how I should go about getting to know members of a specific organization. I have all of the needed material and confidence, I plan on attending every program, but I do not know any personally, which I think could hinder my chances of being chosen. I just dont know how to become noticeable and get to know them without being too obvious. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the previous poster! If you go through her blog, you will find the answer to your question.

      Delete
  2. Keep reading through the rest of the blog... lots of great info on your exact question

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, to begin with, thank you for your blog and actually taking the time out to help people like me. I would like to ask a question but I'm really afraid of asking in this site, is there a more private way that I could communicate with you? I know that I may be asking for personal information and understand if you say no.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So the sorority that I am interested in had a line this semester and in was one of a few that was not chosen of those that were at the informational. I've been really down about it. I'm a junior so I know there is always next year but all of my peers were on this line. Any tips for my situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If becoming a member is your desire, don't give up. There's always alumnae chapters! Some women try more than once to get in. You never know...do community service hours consistently, and show support by attending their events. Good luck.

      Delete
  5. Hi I have found your blog really helpful but I still have one question. The Deltas at my school are suspended until I graduate and Ive decided I want to try and join the Alumnae chapter but im afraid they wont take me seriously because I'm only 21 but I look 15. Do you have any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your community service and qualifications will speak for themselves. I don't think you'll be judged on your appearance (looking young). Attend their public events and show that your serious about supporting them.

      Delete
  6. I'm really interesting in joining a fraternity. I'm currently a sophomore in college and next semester (spring 2016) I'll be transferring to a different college. It was always my plan to pledge a fraternity during my sophomore year. The thing is after I transfer I'm not sure I'll have a GPA. At my current school I have a 3.9 so should still try to pledge Spring semester right after transferring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on the membership intake rules of the fraternity. I know some organization's require that you have a certain amount of credits completed at that college. So my advice is to visit that org's website and do some research on that

      Delete
  7. My school hasn't had a line for the last 3 years and is rumored to have one this coming semester. I was wondering what insight you have on the process since i'm sure it will be a little different since there are no undergrad Deltas left. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Free at last, Free at last. Now that jeff is so I've heard, officially on line for alpha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes you have to atleast have 12 credit hours. I transferred also and they told me the samething

    ReplyDelete