Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Got Questions???? I Got Answers! (Part I)


Hello out there! It's been a while since I last updated my blog! Things have been hectic with school and all, but now that things are winding down, I am able to answer a few of your questions that you posed on my blog.

1. Q. Now that I am in graduate school, does that mean I can no longer apply for membership into a Black Greek Letter Organization?
A. No, that does not mean you cannot apply. Most BGLO have Alumnae membership intake. This requires that you hold a Bachelor's Degree from a College and University and you have graduated with the minimal, yet required GPA needed for membership. I have many friends, and sorors who have went through the membership intake process at the Alumni/Alumnae level.

2. Q. I am the first person in my family to attend college. How can I show interest so the members on the campus know that I am interested in joining their organization?
A. I have answered this question time and time again. The BEST way for the members to know you are interested in joining their organization is by attending their events. Trust me, after while they will notice your face, and realize that there may be interest there on your part.

3. Q. I am BEYOND the average undergraduate age. (Over 25). Do I still have a chance of becoming member through undergrad?
A: Yes, As long as you meet the requirements, you have chance of becoming a member. None of the BGLO discriminates based off of age, race, or religion.

4. Q. If my mom, aunt and sister are all members of XYZ org,  can I automatically become a member of the same organization?
A: If you have family members that are members of the organization who wishes to become a member of, then I would suggest that you speak with them. All BGLO have certain rules in terms of "legacies" Your best bet is to talk to your family member to see if the organization they belong to honor legacies.

5. Q. Who can write my letter of recommendation?
   A. This can be best answered at the informational/RUSH. At the information/RUSH they will go over the details about who can write your letter of recommendation. Side note: I would recommend that you ask for a LOR from a person who you know PERSONALLY! I have been asked to write over 10 letters of recommendations, and how many have I written? TWO! 

6. Q.  What happens if the chapter that I want to join is suspended or just coming from a suspension? How can become a member after the suspension is up?
A. Generally speaking most BGLOs have it set up where the nearest Alumnae/Alumni Chapter is in charge of bringing back the chapter. The best advice I can give you is to keep your eyes and ears open. If a chapter is coming from a suspension and the Alumnae/Alumni chapter voted to revive the chapter, trust me you will know about it through fliers, social media, programs, social activities, community service opportunities, etc.

7. I want to join XYZ but they have never had a chapter on my campus. Can I still join? 
A: That is indeed a possibility however it's a long process. First, you need to get an approval from the College/University. You also need to reach out to the nearest chapter in the area. (Alumnae/Alumni Chapter). Starting a new chapter is not only time-consuming, but VERY expensive. 

8. Do I have to "Step" to join?
A: I get this question quite often. No you are not required to "Step"

9. I do not have the required GPA because I experienced a family tragedy, I took a class that was too hard which killed my GPA, or my teacher gave me a grade that I did not deserve. What can I do?
A: Nothing. No, let me take that back, FOCUS ON YOUR GRADES! I have said this before, and I will say it again.  You are not in college to pledge. You are in college to get a degree. So I will once again say to focus on your grades for now. If you are able to pull them up, then, and only then, should you focus on pledging an organization. 

10. Q. I can't find anyone from the organization that I want to join to write me a letter of recommendation. What can I do?

A: Nothing at this point. Take a year to get to know the members from the organization. This can vary from attending events, performing community service events with the orgs, etc. Most of the BGLOs requires it's prospective members to receive a letter of recommendation from one of its members. So I would suggest that you get to know them. Oh and this doesn't have to be from the chapter that you are seeking membership from. This could include your past teachers, members of your church, neighbors, etc. If you do not know any members, then you are not putting yourself out there enough. 

If you have any other "burning" questions, drop a comment here and I will try to answer them in my Part II


17 comments:

  1. Hello, I have been following your blog since 2014. I interviewed for organization XYZ on Feb 2, 2017 and now it's Feb 22. It has been about 3 weeks. Do you think this week will be when they make the calls? I haven't received a letter in the mail at all. Nor have I heard anything from others who have been interviewed. Any advice is welcomed. Thank you for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a similar question. I'm waiting for notification as well to find out if I made it into XYZ or not. How long did you have to wait between your interview and that wonderful call?

      Delete
    2. Did any of you ever hear back from the org you applied for? Did you make it? It's been 3 weeks for me.

      Delete
    3. Good afternoon. To whom this may concern, I am a college student going into my 3rd year, and I am currently interested in joining DST org. I went to the informationals my freshmen year, however when I realized how little I knew and how unprepared I truly was I no longer went. Additionally I think I left a bad impression on the president at the time as a result. However I am a different woman now than I was back then, and I feel more confident that this something I want. My question is, should I start back going to the informationals, even going as far as to explaining to the current and pass members that didn't feel I was ready and so I needed time to learn what I needed to, and give my all now?

      Delete
  2. I do have question. If my Rush Packet was super tight meaning I tripled checked all thay is needed for the Alumnae Chapter I am seeking membership with, and I learned few of my friends all got call for interviews coming up 3 days Thursday, Friday, and Saturday does this mean I wasn't considered?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever get your interview? I went through this a few years back. Exact same scenario. I ended up getting called for my interview a few days later as they had a lot of people to interview.

      Delete
  3. Hello, I am interested in joining a graduate chapter (fraternity). However, I missed the interest meeting. On their website they have a membership link. Should show my interest on the link or wait until they have another interest meeting?
    Thank you for your time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a way to know when a certain organization is comming back on campus after being suspended?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a freshman, soon to be sophomore and had saw that the organization i am interested in had their suspension lifted sometime in 2016 and was wanting the question i stated above ����

    ReplyDelete
  7. During the spring time my freshman year I rushed for xyz organization but did not get in, of course I was hurt and upset that I did not get in, but over time my wounds healed. Over the time where my wounds were healing another organization has caught my eye and I did all my research on them a little bit more and feel like I could really see myself in this organization. It's been 2 years since I was rejected from the other organization. My question is should I even bother joining this organization because I feel like they will reject me because I tried to join another organization 2 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried to join XYZ org and got denied. It was heartbreaking but I am better now and doing well. However, I plan to transfer schools in the upcoming semester. This has nothing to do with getting denied from the org but rather because of academics.I plan on rushing again the same XYZ org at the new school. However, some have advised me not to because it will look like I tried to change schools to get into the org which IS NOT the case at all. What should I do? I dream of becoming a part of this org but I do not want to get denied again because it looks like I' running away because I got denied. Does this happen often where people get denied and continue to try for the same org? Will I ever get accepted? Should I plan to rush at my new school? Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I have been reading your blogs for a long time, and I appreciate you taking the time to provide answers to questions that I have been afraid to ask for years. Your advice has gave me the courage to look into joining a NPHC sorority. Before asking my question, I will give my background. I have been attending XYZ org events for the past year. The current members, the president and the advisors know me by first name basis. After this semester my cumulative GPA will be right above a 3.0. I have four consecutive years of community service under my belt and I have at least two financial members willing to write my letters. My question is, what would hinder me from getting accepted into the sorority? As well as, how can I get past being so nervous and doubting myself? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello. I am a sophomore about to be a junior. I've been wanting to pledge since I started school. I know pledging is expensive and time consuming. What I want to know is how do I go up to a member of [Insert Org Here]and let them I'm interested. Is it a good or bad idea to try to go up to them and be friendly? I don't want to sound desperate or anything, I am trying to keep myself informed of what's going on with the chapter and when they will conduct another interest meeting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should attend the organization's public events regularly. Show that you support them. Observe during these events and carefully figure out who is approachable. They will take notice that you attend their events.
      Do your homework and find out: Are any of the members in other groups: student union, a sport, an interest group that you could join? Try to get to know them outside of their Sorority, based on common interests you may have with some of the members.

      Delete
  11. This blog has been very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to be so informative. I know you already answered this, but I want to piggyback of question 3. I'm 40 years old, and recently graduated from my local community college and I finishes with a GPA of 3.6 (honors). Now, with that being said my 2 questions are: (1) is 40 to old to consider joining a sorority at the undergrad level, and (2) is it possible to join at the alumni level? Sorry if these questions are unbelievable, but test me, typing it out, I feel a little embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can answer your questions. First, congrats on graduating! Sororities do not discriminate because of age (undergrad or grad/alumni chapter). You can possibly qualify for an alumni chapter AFTER you earn your Bachelor's Degree. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete