Sunday, September 17, 2017

53rd National Convention (Day One)

                                                             TAKE TWO

Today is the day! Although I only received 3 hours of sleep, I was excited about today's event. After cooking breakfast for my husband, we hit the road at 5:30 a.m. heading to the airport. This time was it was smooth sailing. The best part about National Convention this year was that it was Las Vegas. My flight was only an hour and 10 mins long. When I stepped off the plane, there were sorors EVERYWHERE! I was thrilled to be greeted by the local chapter (Las Vegas Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta) right after retrieving my luggage.


After standing in a long line with sorors waiting on a shuttle, we finally made it to the hotel. I was praying that they had rooms available and they would allow us to check in early. At any rate, the first thing I noticed was although there was a LONG line of sorors waiting to check in, the hotel (Mandalay Bay) did not have a lot of workers there ready to check us in. It was SO annoying.

                                                       Sorors waiting to check in their hotel rooms



This should have been filled with employees checking us in.

Finally, it was my turn. I checked in and was told that they would text me when my room is ready. Thankfully, they were able to hold on luggage until then. I decided to head to the convention center and check in to receive my convention bag.

On the way up to Registration

This map was beneficial, especially since the convention center was huge.

This way to Registration

Sorors, everywhere!!!!

After registering and securing my items, I received a text message that my room was ready. Talk about perfect timing. After unpacking my items, I headed back to the convention center for choir rehearsal. I have always enjoyed singing with sorors, and I was looking forward to singing with them. As always, we sounded fantastic!







When choir rehearsal was done, I was starving! I grabbed a bite to eat at Johnny's Rockets and headed BACK to my hotel room. I jumped in the shower to get refreshed and headed BACK to the convention center for the Ribbing Ceremony for the opening of the vendors.

I was so happy that I was able to position myself at the head of the line, so I was able to capture our National President cutting the ribbon. Here is a video clip of the entire event. It was fun capturing sorors faces as they were waiting to shop, shop, shop!








After capturing pictures and videos of sorors shopping, I headed to downstairs for our Welcome Event. With my camera and lenses in tow, I couldn't wait to capture more memories.














We had a ball! We danced, laughed, and watched some fantastic entertainers. I didn't get to bed until after 2:30 a.m. and I had to get up in TWO hours for choir rehearsal and the opening ceremony. Day one was busy, busy, busy.


No comments:

Post a Comment